Saturday, June 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Tortillas



These tortillas are so easy to make. I found this recipe a few weeks ago. I've only made them once. I made quesadilla with half of the tortillas and the following day I baked the rest and made tostadas. The thickness of the tortillas worked great for the tostadas but I think I will roll the tortillas a tad thinner when using them for anything other. Also the original recipe asks for one cup white flour and one cup whole wheat flour. I used two cups of white whole wheat flour.

I liked them, didn’t love them. I’ll play around with the recipe next time I make it. I also will probably never buy store bought tortillas again. These are just too easy and healthy. I know what I’m putting into mine and my families bodies.

2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons canola oil
2/3 cup water

Combine flours, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the oil and water, using a mixer or a fork. When dough can be gathered into a soft mass, turn onto floured surface and knead a few times. Form 8 balls of dough. Flatten first ball of dough into a disk. Roll out dough on floured surface until 7 inches or larger with even strokes that do not reach to the edge, turning over frequently.

Place tortilla in non-greased, frying pan that has been preheated to medium-high heat.

Cook 30-40 seconds on one side, turn over with spatula and cook 30-40 seconds on other side.

Repeat process with remaining dough. Stack tortillas on a plate as they are cooked and cover them with a dish towel.

6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS YUMMMY!!!

    I am your newest follower.
    Have a great day.
    Best wishes,
    Cindi
    http://littleyayasandblessed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a COOL recipe! I will definitely have to show this to my hubby who does most of the cooking around here. Thanks for sharing!

    Hi, I'm stopping by from Java's 'Follow Friday 40 & Over', albeit a tad bit late. I wanted to say hello and share some comment lo♥e.

    I really like your blog and look forward to reading more, so I just became your newest Follower. I would really like it if you would take a few minutes to check out my blog and follow me, too, if you like what you see.

    I hope the rest of your week is wonderful!

    Blessings,

    Teresa <><

    ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kelly for the feedback!
    Following this site too!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly, it's me! CUT AND DRY.
    ~B :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly! I'm Charla from Healthy Home Blog. Thanks for joining in the fun at our Friendly Friday blog hop and also for following me. I'm following you now too.
    Your whole wheat tortillas look so good in the picture. Let me know when you find an awesome recipe because I had already been looking a little for a good recipe myself. I'll let you know if I find one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your recipes sound great. I love a good food blog! Following you now from FMBT!

    ReplyDelete